The government provides additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on the provision of PE and sport in schools.
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport. Schools have the freedom to choose how they do this using these five key indicators for improvement:
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick starting healthy active lifestyles
- Raise the profile of PE and sport across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport